Just a reminder- as long as you’re getting your work ready to send out to these great new writing contests, don’t forget to submit it to Threshold as well. The deadline to submit to DePaul’s own literary arts magazine is this Friday, February 15th!
Arcadia Magazine is currently accepting submissions for its inaugural short story contest. The winner will receive a prize of $1,000 and publication in Arcadia. The deadline for entry is February 15th, 2013.
Fiction writers may submit a short story between 4,000 and 7,000 words, along with a $15 entry fee, via Submittable. There is no required criteria beyond the word limit; stories of any subject or style are eligible. Multiple entries are welcome, but must be submitted separately. All entries will be considered for publication.
Founded in 2009 in Oklahoma City, Arcadia is a print journal published twice yearly in the spring and fall that features the work of both emerging and established writers. In addition to the contest, the magazine accepts year-round submissions of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction, as well as cultural criticism, drama, visual art, comics, music, craft essays, and everything in between—including letters, to be included in the new Epistolary feature on the journal’s website. Whatever the form, the editors state on the site, “We want to see it, read it, hear it, and love it. If it kicks ass, we will find a way to publish it.”
Visit the submissions page for complete guidelines.
Daring Pride is currently soliciting GLBTQ (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning)-related fiction and poetry from talented young writers participating in graduate programs across the country. The Daring Pride fiction/poetry contest is accepting submissions by mail and online from January 16th to August 16th, 2013. Writers can submit work to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Daring Pride Fiction Contest #18
1900 NE 3rd St., Ste. 106
Bend, OR 97701
This is an opportunity for young writers to be seen by potential agents and publishers and to contribute to a new literary journal on glbtbookstore.com. GLBT Books is an Oregon-registered nonprofit which is raising the capital needed to build Stonewall University, the first GLBTQ institution of higher learning in the nation.
- A submission is one original short story (maximum 7,000 words) or a poem.
- The author’s name should not appear on the manuscript.
- Please include separate cover page with story/poem title and word count as well as the author’s name, address, phone number, and email.
- Submissions must be typed; pages must be numbered and single spaced. Please use standard fonts in 12 pt font size.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted.
- Unlimited entries per person allowed. You must use a separate entry payment and submission form for each entry.
- Fiction and/or poetry must be related to GLBTQ issues.
- Do not include professional resumes or biographies with your entry. Entries are judged anonymously; the judges only consider manuscript quality.
- Manuscripts will not be returned. Please do not send return envelopes with postage.
- This contest is open only to writers who have not yet published a book of fiction or poetry. (This includes self-published books with ISBN numbers.) Those who have published books in other genres remain eligible.
- Only previously unpublished stories will be accepted.
- Stories by both US- and internationally-based writers are accepted.
- The deadline for online and mailed submission is August 20th, 2013.
- Winner will be announced by September 30th, 2013.
- $10 per entry. Unlimited entries per person.
- Submission fees must be paid via money order or check made out to “GLBT Books.
Please email Benjamin Dralle at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.