Rush University Medical Center presents an opportunity for an Assistant Director of Development Communications.
Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Development Communications, the Assistant Director supports the fundraising initiatives of Rush’s Office of Philanthropy by providing editorial services. This includes conducting interviews, writing, copy editing, and proofreading. The Assistant Director works on multiple projects, including donor newsletters, alumni publications, donor and alumni websites, internal and external email communications, fundraising collateral, and news and features articles for annual reports.
Further Position Highlights:
- Work with the Associate Director to assist with specific communication needs, generate story ideas, and acquire any necessary background information for specific development communication projects.
- Responsible for writing, editing, and layout for alumni and development email communications, as well as content for the Giving to Rush website and Rush University alumni websites.
- Assist in the writing and editing of fundraising collateral materials, including one-pagers, messaging points, and stewardship publications and letters.
- Assist in the writing, editing, and proofing of Rush University alumni publications.
- Conduct interviews, performing research, and write feature articles for Rush’s donor newsletter, gift planning newsletter, and annual report.
- Provide copyediting and proofreading support to Philanthropy staff.
- Attend occasional alumni and fundraising events.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with ability to demonstrate strong writing and editing skills.
- Two years of writing experience is preferred.
- Must have the ability to work independently, to take initiative, and to juggle and manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Computer literacy (Word/PowerPoint/Excel/Photoshop) required; willingness to learn new technology, including Web content management systems, Web analytics, and some HTML, is essential.
- Familiarity with AP Style is essential.
- Experience writing for the Web is preferred.
- Experience with the Convio email marketing and fundraising platform is a plus.
- Knowledge of healthcare, higher education, and/or development is a plus.
- Ability to master and convey complex concepts (medical, scientific, financial, and administrative) in a lively, easy to understand writing style that is appropriate to a given audience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort interacting with and interviewing everyone from physicians, nurses, and patients to Medical Center leadership and friends and supporters of Rush.