The Newberry Library is seeking a Collection Services Assistant.
Department: Collection Services
Summary: Reporting to the Principal Cataloging Librarian and the Acquisitions Manager, the Collection Services Assistant prepares library materials for shelving; also assists in a variety of processing activities in the Acquisitions and Cataloging sections.
- Primarily responsible for affixing appropriate bookplates, ownership stamps, computer-generated labels and typed call number flags to library materials in all formats;
- Prepares items for binding and conservation;
- Consults with staff on the labeling of problem materials;
- Works closely with department staff to organize workflow and expedite the marking of materials;
- Assists the Acquisitions Manager in ordering materials and in sorting incoming and outgoing mail;
- Assists the Acquisitions Manager in serials and monographs check-in, invoicing and claiming activities;
- Assists in database maintenance processes;
- Participates in department meetings;
- Performs all other tasks or activities needed for the achievement of departmental goals.
- Close attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy;
- Computer proficiency in Internet searching and in the Microsoft Windows environment, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and electronic mail;
- Manual dexterity for labeling and plating in an acceptable fashion;
- Ability to maintain or adjust to the flow of materials through the department;
- Ability to follow instructions and work with others;
- Ability to adhere to a regular work schedule;
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
Schedule: Full time, 35 hours/week, Monday through Friday 9-5. Non-exempt position. Position is partially grant funded for a 2-year period, with the possibility of full-time renewal at the end of the term.
Benefits: First year – health, dental, vision and group life insurance, ten vacation days, two personal days and paid holidays. After one year of service – fifteen vacations day, long-term disability, long-term care, and TIAA-CREF retirement plan available.
Compensation: $11.00 /hour
Date Posted: February 18, 2014
Date Available: March 10, 2104